Mixed performance of non-food and industrial crops in the first quarter

0

Production of major non-food and industrial crops took different directions in the first quarter of 2022, according to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).

In a bulletin, the PSA said the country’s coconut production in March reached 3.2 million metric tons, up just 2% from 3.1 million tons year-on-year. ‘other.

The Davao region was named the top coconut producer after harvesting 503,806.6 MT. The Zamboanga Peninsula comes next with 477,205.6 MT.

Abaca fiber production increased by a larger margin of 14.1% to 14,573.83 MT from 12,770.62 MT.

The Bicol region was the leading producer of abaca fibres, accounting for 5,967.5 MT or 40.9% of total production.

Davao region

Cocoa production increased by 6% to 2,384.01 MT from 2,249.52 MT. The Davao region remained the top cocoa producer in the country with 1,875 MT or 78.7% of the total. The same PSA report showed that sugarcane production decreased by 10.1% to 10.46 million MT from 11.63 million MT.

Sugarcane for centrifuged or refined sugar accounted for 98.7% of the total while the remaining 1.3% came from sugarcane for ethanol, panocha/muscovado and vinegar.

Western Visayas was still the top sugar cane producer with 5.31 million tons.

Production of dried coffee berries, meanwhile, fell by 3.9% to 18,597.47 MT from 19,350.32 MT, with robusta remaining the most produced type as it took over two-thirds of the total output.

Soccsksargen was named the top coffee producing region with 6,257 MT or 33.6% of the total, followed by North Mindanao with 2,733.1 MT and Davao region with 2,352.7 MT.

During the quarter, the rubber yield fell slightly by 0.3% to 47,336.75 MT from 47,488.13 MT.

Soccsksargen also emerged as the top rubber producing region with 19,858 MT while Zamboanga Peninsula came second with 19,202.2 MT.

Meanwhile, farmers produced 9,061.25 MT of cured tobacco leaf in the first quarter, down 24.1 percent from 11,931.24 MT in the same period last year.

Virginia tobacco was the most produced variety with a 95.8% share, the rest coming from native and other (burley) tobacco.

The Ilocos region accounted for the majority of tobacco production with 7,850.5 MT while growers in the Cordillera administrative region harvested 1,025.2 MT.

Read more

Don’t miss the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For comments, complaints or inquiries, contact us.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.